Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Before and After- Not from Ikea




I recently saw an Ikea debate on facebook that made me laugh.
I think you either love Ikea or not. I dislike Ikea very much- well...I guess I should say i don't like their furniture, but i do like their accessories. Most of our KIDS kitchen bowls are from there.
Anywhoo, the comment that was made was, "well we can't afford heavy made furniture" so they shop at Ikea.
I personally take a different approach to finding good quality furniture without having to pay a fortune.
I love searching blogs and pinterest for ideas of things i like then I go on a hunt.
My favorite places are craiglsits, garage sales, antique stores, or second hand stores. I love a good project that can be made into something fabulous (at least I think so).
Here are a few of my recent finds...



I looked and looked for the perfect behind the couch table. I saw the idea of a drop leaf table and loved it! This beauty cost me $20 at the antique mall. I actually loved the color so i didn't even have to change a thing
My beautiful book shelf! This is my very first book shelf! Can you believe it?? I have been holding out for one that I love and this takes the cake!
I got this at an estate sale of a client of mine. Originally priced at $1300 and I spent $250 on it and actually I ended up trading hair for it so It cost me nothing out of pocket! Got to love that!!

(Before Armoire above- After below)
This is my most recent find and I have to say I LOVE it!
I have been searching for 6 months on craigslist and I came across this beauty and had to have it.
Its huge and fits or 42in TV! They were originally asking $150 but i talked them down to $130.00. I call it shabby chic and Chris calls it rustic chic (he doesn't see the vision I have :) )
Its different and unique and not everyone will have it which makes me love it even more.

You can't really see the difference in the before and after, but when I got it, it was painted with a primer color and I just painted over it in antique white.






Here is a quick idea
take a ladder and turn it into a pot shelf. i am still not done with it, but it really adds something to our kitchen. I got this latter at the antique store for next to nothing

here is another example of good quality furniture. I found this on craigslist and it was exactly what I was looking for. Our living room is a pretty big open space and I needed something larger for the center of the room. This coffee table is huge and can even fit children chairs underneath it! I love it! I still might refinish it at some point but not sure a color yet. They were asking $100 for this and I offered $50! Totally worth ever penny!!

PS here is a craigslist hint. NEVER pay the full amount they are asking for unless they specify the price is firm. I don't think i have ever paid asking price for anything. It never hurts to at least ask! All those times of being embarrassed of my dad willing and dealing has paid off and I am not embarrassed in the least anymore!



3 comments:

Mallory said...

umm next time you go on a furniture hunt can I go with you? Your pieces are amazing!

top knot extensions said...

SOOO cute!!! Im with you I HATE ikea!!!

Babbel Family said...

WOW! I'm speechless, you have a talent for getting such great deals.