Thursday, March 13, 2014

Birth Story

I feel like if I don't ever write this down I will soon forget the emotions and the memories of this special day. I don't want to forget so here it goes…

You would think with 4 previous deliveries  I would be ready for a 5th. You would think. I feel like I was anything but ready. Sure I made my list and checked it twice, but I wasn't ready. I was a ball full of nerves. I knew too much! I have experienced too much. I wasn't ready. This pregnancy went by so fast. I had so many other things to keep me busy that I really didn't spend a lot of time even thinking about the pregnancy. Plus, I had a good pregnancy- absolutely nothing to complain about. Except the dreaded weight gain, but I can't lie that was fun putting on. Food is yummy! And I know it will come off. I work hard at it but that's fun for me. Anyway, back to baby… Even though I wasn't ready time was here. I made all the preparations. The house was cleaned, help was lined up. I showed Chris where all the important stuff was in the house in case I died (that was a fun conversation). Ready or not it was here. The calendar showed March 5th and it was go time…

I was considered "higher" risk because I have had 4 previous c-sections (not by choice). My first Dr told me I would be lucky to get to 4  but my current Dr told me otherwise. I could have 5 but he wasn't sure if I could have more then that. He would let me know on the operating table. Although I was feeling like this was our last baby we hadn't mentally prepared for it to be out "LAST" baby. With us both coming from very large families I think we both in our hearts wanted lots of kids (not that 5 isn't a lot).

We got to the hospital at 5:30am and everything moved so fast. I still wasn't ready. Time went way too fast and soon they told me it was time. My Dr is very punctual and never runs late. The time was 7:30am
I find it slightly unfair Chris gets to see all the good stuff about a c-section. They don't let him come in until I'm all prepped. He doesn't see me naked on the cold table in the cold room. He doesn't see them put the epidural in or the catheter. The screen in up by the time he comes in. Its all business now. It only takes a few minutes at this point... 
This time is different though. My uterus was so thin it would be dangerous to have more children they tell us. They tied my tubes. I had signed a consent form saying I did want it if medically necessary. And we knew it was. We had two very experienced Dr's tell us so (both of which share our same faith).
We knew it was best.
Still… In a split second we closed one chapter of our lives. I wasn't ready for those emotions. I was sad but held it in. I put on a brave face because I knew what was coming next…
A beautiful healthy baby girl that was going to make our family complete. 
And then just like that she was here (7:46am)
She was so tiny yet so beautiful and she made the sad feelings go away. I felt so grateful for her.  She was here safely and she completed this family of 7
Elise Christine Rigby 
3.5.14 6lbs 11.3 oz 19.5 in
As soon and she was here Chris and the nurse took her to my awaiting triage room (again he misses all the fun stuff). They sewed me up and moved me to another bed. Luckily I'm on all kinds of drugs at this point. But I wanted to kiss every one and tell them thank you! I was so happy! I was ready to be this girls Mom. Finally I was ready!

With each child you forget about the not so fun part about giving birth-the recovery! I have only experienced c-sections, but its NOT fun! And apparently 5 in 7 hers can do a number on your body-trust me!
This last week has been a doozy. Recovery has been awful to be honest. I have shed LOTS of tears. You forget the pains and the emotions your body goes through. Man the pains are not fun! Not being able to sit up or go to the bathroom on your own stinks! Sneezing or coughing makes you feel like you just undid everything the Dr did. Women are truly amazing and strong. Each day i give myself a pep talk about how tomorrow will be better, and it is. Tomorrow is always better then yesterday. Each day I can walk a little better and move with a little less pain. 
I get to snuggle a little peanut and watch my older children laugh and run around. They make it worth it. So so worth it! 
I feel so blessed. I was blessed with a body that is strong and functional and that can get through the hard stuff. 
I feel blessed that Heavily Father would trust us to raise these beautiful children. We are far from perfect. We make mistakes everyday, but we are trying! Every. Single. Day we try.
I feel blessed to be on this amazing journey with Chris. He is amazing and supportive and the most loving person I know. I am so grateful for him. 
Looking back on the last 10 yrs of married life I am exactly where I want to be. Sure not everything has gone as planned, we have had our fair share of struggles, but right here where 
I am is where I want to be. 


 So thankful Grandma Rigby could come and watch kids while I was in the hospital. The kids loved having her here. It was so helpful!
 I am also so thankful for  my Mom who has been helping all along. She has done loads of laundry for us and helped clean and organize my house. Not to mention watching my kids when i needed her. Thank you MOM!

 Two of my sisters surprised me and flew in just after I had the baby. I had no idea they were coming!
It was the best surprise ever! They came and spoiled me and my kids. Anything we needed they did. 
They were just there for me and I am so grateful! They left their own families behind to be there for me and my family. It will be something I will never forget. 



 My girls









2 comments:

Babbel Family said...

Loved reading that. Made me cry. You are amazing! Love you!

The Lamb's said...

Such a sweet story Liz! Thank you for sharing. Made me cry too:) You are a rockstar!