Monday, January 28, 2008

Little Breakthough...


This Sunday we had a little breakthrough with London. After book club the other night I got some good advice from some other Mom's with some major experience. I really use to think I would know exactly what to do when situations would arise with my kids, but I have quickly found out that is not the case. My parents never would let us get away with anything at church and here I was clueless about what to do. I am so thankful for friends, family, and perfect strangers who offer up great advice.


London sure is the life of the party, and being an only child sure makes her pretty spoiled. Anyway, we have been struggling with her in church (she is at such a tough age) and she won't sit still anywhere, so why would that be different at church? We had been sitting in the way back in hopes we wouldn't make a scene and kind of lay low. This week we sat on the side in a pew- we arrived 15 minutes early (a huge accomplishment for us) and it worked. She would have made it through the whole sacrament meeting had she not bumped her head, but she quickly recovered and we were back sitting as a family. She also made it through a lot of Sunday school and RS. We decided that when we take her out will will only let her sit on our laps no matter how hard she screams(sorry for those who will have to witness it)-I guess Chris let her down when he took her out-such a softy! I, on the other hand am not a softy and I made her sit on my lap. Half way through RS she fell asleep... WHAT?!? I know it may sound silly, but I can count the number times she has done this on one hand, even when she was a tiny baby. It melted my heart!! The point of this whole thing is that the advice I got worked(at least for now) and I am so excited to keep it up. Thanks girls!!



9 comments:

sara said...

i love learning things from more experienced people...church is so tricky...no matter how old you are!

Amy said...

We still have a hard time with our boys at church. Our church is at 11am, but Sacrament Meeting is last. That makes it really difficult for the boys. Isn't it great to get some good advice from mom's who have gone through the same thing?!... But, London is too cute to be such a stinker, isn't she?

Jenifer said...

How wonderful! I love when kids fall asleep in my arms. It doesn't even have to be my own kids! Hopefully she will do great next week!

Cara @ Gardenview Cottage said...

I'm glad it worked. We did that with Cass (the lap thing) and it worked great! Gives them the boundries they need!

Tiffany said...

Oh yeah for sucess!! I guess book club is good for more than one thing, isn't it?! Ü

Shelly said...

Good for you! That is a huge step! Happy day

Kathy said...

A good friend of mine told me that when you have to take them out of sacrament you make them sit in a chair or on your lap the whole time you are in the foyer. She said that when they want to play you remind them that in the chapel they have crayons and a coloring book or whatever you have brought for them and that if they are ready to be quiet they can go back in and quietly play with that. With Konner when we stick to that he is good. But his dad is the softy in our family when it comes to that kind of stuff. So we are still struggling with Konner in Sacrament.

Erin said...

We actually tried that with Jack on sunday, he was not happy about it. We'll see if it worked next sunday. Glad that it worked for London.

The Riggs Family said...

That is great advice we did that with our kids too, and it didn't take them long. I even had to practice at home during quiet time. As parents we are constantly learning too, so glad we aren't in it alone. I love your blog Lizzy!!